OCD and Related Anxiety Based Conditions
Intensive Treatment For OCD and Anxiety
In addition to our standard outpatient program, the OCD Center of Los Angeles also offers an intensive outpatient treatment program for OCD and related anxiety based conditions. Most people suffering with OCD and anxiety respond extremely well to our standard outpatient treatment protocol of 1-2 sessions per week over a 4-6 month period. But for some, intensive treatment is a more effective option.
The intensive treatment program at the OCD Center of Los Angeles includes multiple therapy sessions per week, thus allowing clients to challenge their OCD and anxiety symptoms in a more aggressive and time-effective manner. Our intensive outpatient program is an ideal treatment option for people in various situations, including:
- Clients from outside the US, where treatment options may be limited;
- US residents from outside of Southern California who are unable to find specialized care near their homes;
- Individuals with severe OCD and / or anxiety symptoms for whom standard outpatient treatment is insufficient;
- Those with time limitations who are unable to schedule 4-6 months of standard outpatient treatment.
Intensive Treatment With Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
All treatment programs at the OCD Center of Los Angeles focus primarily on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), with a strong emphasis on a specific CBT treatment called Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP). CBT is an evidence based treatment modality that has been repeatedly researched, and has consistently been found to be the most effective treatment for OCD and most anxiety based conditions.
While other intensive programs for OCD and anxiety often focus on group therapy, the intensive outpatient program at the OCD Center of Los Angeles is based primarily on individual therapy. Clients work with one of our 14 professional staff therapists, all of whom specialize in CBT for the treatment of OCD and related anxiety based conditions.
We recognize that each individual has specific treatment needs, and that many also have scheduling issues that may make it difficult to easily participate in an intensive treatment program. For this reason, the OCD Center of Los Angeles is committed to providing various intensive treatment options, including:
- Standard Intensive Program – Our standard intensive treatment program includes six (6) hours per week of individual therapy for 4-6 weeks. Therapy sessions focus on various CBT treatment techniques, including Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), Cognitive Restructuring (CR), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and Mindfulness-Based CBT techniques.
- One-Week Intensive Program – Many people do not have the time, resources, or need for a 4-6 week treatment program. Our one-week intensive treatment program is ideally suited to those who have a strong commitment to getting better, and the ability to quickly learn and integrate CBT training into their daily life. The program consists of twelve (12) hours of individual therapy over 4-5 days. Please note that a single one-week program should not be seen as a full course of treatment.
- Weekend Intensive Program – Our most concentrated offering, this program is ideal for individuals with very limited time, and those who prefer to learn in a brief, highly concentrated format. Our weekend intensive program consists of eight (8) hours of one-on-one therapy over a 2-3 day period. Please note that a single weekend program should not be seen as a full course of treatment.
- Summer School Program – For students, teachers, and others with extended schedule breaks, our Summer School intensive treatment program is a timely option. Sessions are held for three months between June and August, thus minimizing the impact of treatment on school or work obligations.
- Custom Program – We also offer the option of an individually customized program that is tailored to the specific treatment and scheduling needs of the client. For example, for those who want or need more treatment than their schedule allows during any one time period, we offer multiple one-week intensive treatment modules scheduled over an extended period of time (i.e., three separate one-week intensive modules scheduled over a six month period). This approach helps to minimize the level of disruption that intensive therapy often has on a client’s school and/or work schedule.
- Group Therapy Participation – Clients participating in any of our intensive treatment programs for one month or more also have the option of participating in one of our six weekly therapy /support groups for OCD and related conditions. We offer groups on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, as well as Saturday mornings and afternoons. All groups are led by our professional staff therapists.
- Family Therapy – For many clients, family therapy is an essential part of intensive treatment. We offer the option of family therapy sessions which focus on helping spouses, parents, and others learn how to better manage and respond to their loved one’s OCD and anxiety symptoms. These sessions can be extremely helpful for family members who feel unable to understand or effectively cope with the symptoms and suffering of a loved one experiencing OCD or a related anxiety based condition.
Prior to initiating an intensive outpatient program, we conduct a thorough 90-minute pre-treatment assessment, including a full clinical interview and basic diagnostic testing. The pre-treatment assessment provides our staff therapists the opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of your particular symptoms, and to answer any questions you may have regarding our treatment program. For clients under the age of 18, participation of at least one parent or guardian is required for part of the pre-treatment assessment. For clients coming from outside of Southern California, the pre-treatment assessment is conducted either online via webcam, or via telephone.
Conditions We Treat With Intensive CBT
All of our highly specialized programs, including our intensive outpatient treatment program, are designed specifically for the treatment of OCD and related anxiety based disorders. Among the conditions we treat are:[ezcol_1half]
- Pure Obsessional OCD (Pure O)
- Perinatal / Postpartum OCD
- Adolescent OCD (age 14 and older)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Hypochondria / Health Anxiety
- Panic Disorder
- Social Anxiety / Social Phobia
- Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling Disorder)
- Dermatillomania (Skin Picking Disorder
- Olfactory Reference Syndrome
[/ezcol_1half_end]It is worth noting that, for many clients, intensive treatment is unnecessary or inconvenient. The OCD Center of Los Angeles also offers a standard outpatient program focusing on individual therapy, as well as telephone and online therapy, home visits, and six weekly low-fee therapy / support groups.
or call us at 310 824-5200
Lodging and Local Attractions
The OCD Center of Los Angeles is an outpatient clinic, and as such, we do not offer residential facilities. There are numerous accommodations within 5-10 minutes of each of our locations, ranging from low-cost motels to five-star hotels. For those clients coming from outside of Southern California for intensive treatment, we will work with the lodging of your choice to secure a discounted rate.
For those times when you are not in treatment, our four locations provide easy access to many nearby attractions to suit everyone’s tastes, including the world-renowned Getty Museum, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Beverly Hills shopping district, Universal CityWalk, Disneyland, Joshua Tree National Park, Will Rogers State Park, hiking trails in the Santa Monica Mountains, and miles of Southern California’s world-famous beaches.
About the OCD Center of Los Angeles
The OCD Center of Los Angeles is a private outpatient treatment center specializing in individual therapy, group therapy, online therapy, and intensive treatment for OCD and related conditions. We have 14 therapists on staff, all of whom are either licensed or registered, and all of whom specialize in CBT. We treat adults, adolescents, and children, and offer services six days a week, including evenings and Saturdays.
We have offices at three locations in Southern California:
- Los Angeles – Brentwood
- San Fernando Valley – Woodland Hills
- Orange County – Newport Beach
If you would like more information about intensive treatment, or would like to discuss individual therapy, group therapy, or online therapy at the OCD Center of Los Angeles, please call one of our client coordinators at (310) 824-5200 (ext. 4), or click here to email us.